October is National Chiropractic Health Month!October 15, 2015
In honor of National Chiropractic Health Month, the American Chiropractic Association is highlighting ways you can feel your best every day, regardless of your age, occupation or fitness level. This year’s theme-“Discover Chiropractic: Find Your Game”-focuses on how everyone can take steps toward optimal health, wellness and functioning.
For starters, try these tips to keep your joints in good shape and avoid repetitive stress injuries:
1. Moving a joint through its full range of motion serves several important purposes. Joints are not supplied directly with blood as are other organs, so “use it or lose it” applies to joint function.
2. Proper diet and nutrition and a tobacco-free lifestyle contribute to joint health by allowing the joints to absorb enough healthy nutrients for long-term stability and resistance to wear and tear.
3. When lifting an object, be sure that the largest muscles in the area perform the task.
4. Muscles will fatigue and joints are more likely to be injured when you hold a particular posture for an extended period of time, especially a poor one, such as staying partially bent forward at the waist.
5. When performing tasks, keep joints that are being used either in their natural posture or approximately halfway to the range of motion. Working with joints at the extremes of their ranges of motion for prolonged periods places abnormal stresses on those joints and can results in repetitive stress injuries.
Find more tips to help you Find Your Game, visit www.ChiroHealthy.com.